"Hey, hey, hey. We're sisters. You're my family. What is you is me. There's nothing you can ever say to make me let go. I love you." - Blair to Serena on last night's Gossip Girl.
Sisterhood. It's a lifetime commitment that most women are born in to. Women do not learn to love their sisters, it's an innate feeling that attaches them to the hip.
But I have learned otherwise.
Being in a sorority, from my completely biased point of view, requires a lot more strength and courage than the stereotype leads us to believe. I will be honest and say that I have seen more red party cups in the past six months of college life than I have in the past six years of my life, but that's just college, that's a part of the experience. Yeah, we party. Yeah, we like boys. Of course, we haul ass for philanthropy and fundraisers. But I feel like we stand for much more than what people tend to believe.
There's a notion that there is a contrived, superficial sisterhood that is common in sororities. If it was so contrived, why did I get weepy over a couple of hours of stupid Senior pass downs? If my sisters are so fake, then why do I get goosebumps all over when we sing ritual songs? Why does all of this bullshit mean so much to me, if it doesn't mean anything at all?
I find that there is an intimate bond that I share with my sisters of Alpha Chi Omega. We have rituals and traditions that mean absolutely nothing to people outside of our Sisterhood, but mean everything to us, everything to me.
I never had a biological sister. I don't think my Mom is going to pop out another one any time soon either. So this is as good as things are going to get for me, this is the closest I will ever come to having a sister.
As "contrived" and "superficial" as one may find my life to be, I think it takes a lot of faith, love, and hope to wear my letters across my chest. I wear and say Alpha Chi Omega with pride. Those are my sisters, they are the lifeline and breath of the chapter's existence.
Because of Alpha Chi, I have been changed for good.
Sisterhood. It's a lifetime commitment that most women are born in to. Women do not learn to love their sisters, it's an innate feeling that attaches them to the hip.
But I have learned otherwise.
Being in a sorority, from my completely biased point of view, requires a lot more strength and courage than the stereotype leads us to believe. I will be honest and say that I have seen more red party cups in the past six months of college life than I have in the past six years of my life, but that's just college, that's a part of the experience. Yeah, we party. Yeah, we like boys. Of course, we haul ass for philanthropy and fundraisers. But I feel like we stand for much more than what people tend to believe.
There's a notion that there is a contrived, superficial sisterhood that is common in sororities. If it was so contrived, why did I get weepy over a couple of hours of stupid Senior pass downs? If my sisters are so fake, then why do I get goosebumps all over when we sing ritual songs? Why does all of this bullshit mean so much to me, if it doesn't mean anything at all?
I find that there is an intimate bond that I share with my sisters of Alpha Chi Omega. We have rituals and traditions that mean absolutely nothing to people outside of our Sisterhood, but mean everything to us, everything to me.
I never had a biological sister. I don't think my Mom is going to pop out another one any time soon either. So this is as good as things are going to get for me, this is the closest I will ever come to having a sister.
As "contrived" and "superficial" as one may find my life to be, I think it takes a lot of faith, love, and hope to wear my letters across my chest. I wear and say Alpha Chi Omega with pride. Those are my sisters, they are the lifeline and breath of the chapter's existence.
Because of Alpha Chi, I have been changed for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment