Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Frog King, by Adam Davies.

"Despite her own black-widowhood, Evie has lately become much more abraded by my habitual romantic malfeasance, and much more verbal about it. She's always been talkative, but she never complained or chastised. Lately, though, she's taken to more energetic criticism. She used to say that sleeping with me -- sleeping on me, as her adorable wont -- made her feel like she was in a lifeboat. These days, her new favorite reprimand goes, it's got a problem with leaking.

She is, you'll see, a woman given to extravagant and punitive metaphor.

But -- if I don't say this now I never will -- I love her. Am I allowed to say that? Too late. It's out. I said it. There it is. Stone truth: I love her. I've never told her this, but I love her so much taht the essence of Evie clings to me the way scents of certain trades penetrate the skin of their tradesmen: fish on fishermen, sawdust on carpenters.

I'm contaminated with her."

2 comments:

very fucking confused said...

i just wanted you to know.. i was watching jeopardy tonight and one of the questions was about the row. needless to say, i am well-educated in the olsens thanks to you. i wooed over chinese.

vogueidea said...

SERIOUSLY?! what was it? i love jeopardy so much. that alex is a fox.